[Imageworld] ACM MindTrek 2008, CfP
Artur R. Lugmayr
artur.lugmayr at tut.fi
Wed May 28 13:12:03 CEST 2008
Extension of Deadline till 8/June 2008; Call for Papers:
11th MindTrek Conference
MindTrek 2008: Entertainment and Media in the Ubiquitous Era
Call for Papers and Workshops
October 7th-9th, 2008 in Tampere, Finland
* In Cooperation with ACM SIGMM and ACM SIGCHI publications will be
published within the ACM digital library and a selected set of high-
contributions as book chapters or within journals.
* In Cooperation with the Nordic Games Research Network - the Nordic
games researchers can apply for travel & accomodation support from
Confirmed keynote: Marc Davis, Yahoo!
MindTrek 2008 Call for Papers and Workshop Proposals
We are happy to invite you into MindTrek Conference in October 79,
MindTrek is a three day conference to explore current and emerging
social media, ubimedia and games. MindTrek includes a workshop day,
main tracks, plenary sessions and invited presentations. MindTrek is a
leading Northern new media festival and conference series, arranged
for more than a decade, since 1997.
Interdisciplinary and open for innovation, MindTrek is a meeting place
experts and thinkers present results from their latest work regarding
development of Internet, interactive media and information society.
brings together researchers and practitioners from diverse disciplines
are involved in the development of media from sociology, economy, to
technology. The organizing committee invites you to submit original
quality papers addressing the special theme and the topics, for
at the conference and inclusion in the proceedings.
We are interested in contributions in the topic areas social media,
ambient/ubiquitous media, and games such as:
- case-studies (successful, and especially unsuccessful ones)
- oral presentation of fresh and innovative ideas
- artistic installations and running system prototypes
- user-experience studies and evaluations
- technological novelties, evaluations, and solutions
- scientific, business, or media oriented contributions
- proposals for own workshops.
The submitted papers will be selected for the following streams of the
- Social media
- Ubiquitous and ambient media.
Feel free to suggest workshops which are co-organized with the MindTrek
2008. Workshop proposals should include organizing committee, 1 page
description of the theme of the workshop, short CV of organizers,
proceedings publisher, and schedule.
The scientific part of the conference is organized in co-operation with
SIGMM, and ACM SIGCHI. Conference proceedings will be published in the
Digital Library. Selected high quality papers will be selected and
in international journals, as book chapters, or via open access
Nordic games researchers (PhD students & staff) can apply for travel
accomodation support from NGRN (www.ngrn.dk. There will be a specific
thematic workshop on the disciplinary identity of game studies, taking
place in Oct 7th; interested speakers for that, please contact directly
Frans Mäyrä (frans.mayra (at) uta.fi).
- 8th June 2008 (note: extension of deadline: submission of
papers (abstract, 1000 words) and workshops
- 20th June 2008: review statements
- 29th August 2008: camera ready papers from authors (5 pages)
- 7th-9th October 2008: conference
1. Social Media
- business models, service models, and policies
- questions related to identity, motivation and values
- blogs, wikis, and collaboration designs in practice
- user-created content and social networks.
2. Ubiquitous and ambient media
- ubiquitous and ambient services, applications, devices, and
- business models, service models, and policies
- context aware, sensing, and interfaces for ubiquitous computation
- ergonomics, human-computer interaction designs, and product
- software, hardware and middleware frameworks
- production technology for ambient media
- pervasive and ubiquitous storytelling, games, and art works
- ambient interactive business models, service concepts, and
- artistic works related to ubiquitous computation
- ubiquitous entertainment and experiences
- new human-computer interaction modalities.
- theoretical and analytical contributions to the study of games and
- novel approaches to the design research of games
- discussions of gaming technologies from user- or player-centred
- studies of social play and role-play
- analyses of online, mobile, casual and cross-media gaming
- research into user-created game content
- studies of pervasive games.
Position paper submissions will be peer-reviewed as abstracts, and full
versions of papers will be published both in the printed conference
proceedings and online in the ACM digital library. High quality
contributions of very selected papers will be considered for journals,
special issue journals, or as book chapters.
- Please follow the style guidelines on
your position paper and final paper.
- Note that since the papers will be published by ACM, all authors need
sign an ACM copyright form. (for further guidelines see:
Conference Organizing Committee
Artur Lugmayr (Scientific Chair)
Frans Mäyrä, Katri Lietsala, and Heljä Franssila (Conference Co-chairs)
Steering & Review Committees
Juha Kaario, NOKIA, FINLAND
Matthias Rauterberg, Eidhoven University of Technology, NETHERLANDS
Zhiwen Yu, Kyoto University, JAPAN
Irek Defee, Tampere University of Technology (TUT), FINLAND
Jan Kallenbach, Helsinki University of Technology (HUT), FINLAND
Marianna Obrist, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg, AUSTRIA
Cai Melakoski, TAMK Univ. of Applied Sciences, FINLAND
Peter Bruck, European Academy of Digital Media (EADiM, EUROPRIX),
Hannu Paunonen, Metso Automation, FINLAND
Jonas Kronlund, ELISA, FINLAND
Olli Sotamaa, University of Tampere (UTA), FINLAND
Nicole Ellison, Michigan State University, USA
Kirsi Silius, Tampere University of Technology (TUT), FINLAND
Kaisa Väänänen-Vainio-Mattila, Tampere University of Technology (TUT),
Bjoern Stockleben, RBB, GERMANY
Staffan Björk, II/Chalmers, SWEDEN
Markus Wiemker, RWTH Aachen, GERMANY
Artur Lugmayr, artur.lugmayr (at) tut.fi
Submit papers here
City of Tampere, Ubiqutious Computing Cluster, Tampere University of
Technology, Tampere University, TAMK University of Applied Sciences,
University of Applied Sciences, Technology Centre Hermia, Neogames,
Digibusiness cluster, Sombiz, COSS, and Gemilo.
More information about the Imageworld